Manager, Anchor Mission Strategies
We are seeking a full-time Manager of Anchor Mission Strategies to join the Community Engagement Department at Rush University Medical Center!
Rush University Medical Center (Rush) has served as an incubator for WEST SIDE UNITED (WSU), an ambitious undertaking with a holistic, racial health equity, multi-sector approach to health improvement that engages anchor institutions, community-based organizations, the faith community, residents, government agencies, and the Chicago business and civic community. Rush has committed to financial oversight of staffing and resources for WSU. WSU is led by an Executive Leadership Council, which includes executives from UI Health, Cook County Health, AMITA (Presence) Health, Sinai Health Systems and Lurie Children’s Hospital. However, WSU’s vision, scope, administration and programming have developed through a collaborative effort with multiple stakeholders. The mission of WSU is to build health and economic vitality in ten neighborhoods located on the West Side (Austin, Lower West Side, North/South Lawndale, East/West Garfield Park, West Town, Near West Side, Humboldt Park and Belmont-Cragin). We will achieve this mission through partnerships with residents, health care institutions, community leaders and organizations by scaling the impact of existing initiatives, developing new programs, and providing coordinated support to existing neighborhood networks of community-based organizations. WSU seeks to address systemic, health inequities through robust programming and partnerships. The goal of the Anchor Mission work is to create a culture of equity across all anchor institution operations to streamline costs while boosting local spend, hiring and investing efforts while helping create and sustain healthier communities.
This position will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all of West Side United’s Anchor Mission strategies and achieving procurement, hiring, investment, career pathways and small business grant pool monthly, quarterly and annual goals. This position will manage a growing group of 3-5 program coordinators. This person will manage, plan and operate the Anchor Mission Strategic Plan framework. This position will provide coordination for WSU’s senior management team; Anchor Mission Workgroup Leaders; serve as liaison to WSU’s partners; and work WSU’s Executive Leadership Council to keep them abreast of Anchor Mission programmatic strategies and challenges. This position will partner with the Director and her/his peers and will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the operational aspects of the Anchor Mission budget. This person will help steward existing relationships with public and private funders in accordance with Rush policies and procedures. Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
- Work closely with hospital leadership and Anchor Mission leads to set targets and ensure monthly, quarterly and annual progress on procurement, small business, career pathways, hiring and investment goals.
- Responsible for tracking and monitoring monthly, quarterly and yearly progress in line with WSU’s strategic plan, Anchor Mission goals and metrics.
- Establishes consistent, objective Anchor Mission program performance standards of accountability, in line with the strategic plan and evaluation framework.
- Communicate results to hospital leadership and external stakeholders on a monthly and quarterly basis. Identifies opportunities for WSU to leverage cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and/or to address organizational challenges.
- Serves as an Anchor Mission advocate for national and local strategic partnerships internally and externally.
- Manages WSU National presence and engagement with the Anchor Collaborative Network.
- Convenes WSU Anchor Committee quarterly and Anchor Mission Workgroups on a monthly basis.
- Publicly represent WSU with the media and external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for WSU’s mission.
- Attends meetings and events, as needed, in the Executive Director’s absence.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain WSU’s high-performance Anchor Mission team with an emphasis on developing capacity in strategic analysis and planning and program budgeting.
- Develop and implement training programs and retreats to expand the capacity of Anchor Mission team.
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization.
- Master of Business Administration degree
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance, Economics or Related field
- At least 10 years of experience with five of those years in a team management role
- Demonstrated experience with supply chain oversight, purchase agreement negotiation healthcare recruitment and hiring, career pathway development, small business coaching and/or capital investment projects for business and social sector.
- Demonstrated experience and success in strategic planning, developing program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Understands and/or has had an opportunity to work on equity issues in healthcare, social services, law, policy or other related areas
- Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience working with
- Information technology staff to develop and implement programs
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multi-faceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Experience having worked with a high-performing, collaborative, constructive peer group
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance.
- Demonstrated results in managing through complex systems and proven experience negotiating win-win agreements.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders, including community and institutional partners, who may have conflicting priorities.
- Experience working with diverse teams and communities of color
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for West Side United’s mission
- Rush was recently ranked among the top 20 hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Rush was recently ranked first for Quality and Accountability among 102 leading academic medical centers in the US in a study conducted by the health care services company Vizient.
- Ranked among the top academic medical centers in the country, Rush University Medical Center is an outstanding place to enhance your career. Everything we do centers on one goal: improving patient care.
- Rush offers a competitive salary, and valuable healthy living benefits including: health, dental and vision to help you maintain and improve your health. Rush also offers several ways to invest in your future.
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.